Just this week, I was chatting with a friend about our boys. Hers is a year older than mine. He is quickly approaching that "land of in-between." That strange odd place where so much of what they say and do is still so "little boy." But, every now and then you catch a scary glimpse of the tween/teen years that are QUICKLY approaching. Mine is not far behind.
Please don't misunderstand me. I ain't rushing a thing here. I would keep him little forever if it were up to me. I am just coming to grips with the inevitable.
From the get-go, we have been the strict, un-cool parents. We make the boy drink milk (No!), we enforce an early bedtime (Gasp!), we VERY rarely let him attend events without us (Wow!), we don't let him see movies that we haven't pre-viewed (Boring!), and I still walk him to school... even though I could spit on the teachers' cars from my kitchen window. (Not that I would do that!)
Back to my friend's conversation...
Her son had been invited to a birthday party where the kids were gonna watch movies. Movies that their son may not have been allowed to see. When she explained her reasoning to her son, he was ok with it. He was ok with missing that part of the party. Then she said the thing that brought back a long-forgotten feeling. She said,
"I think he may have been a little relieved that I said he couldn't go."
Do you remember that feeling?
Was I the only child on the planet that ever felt that way?
You really weren't sure about going somewhere or doing something and a parent said "no," and a tiny wave of relief washed over you?
I am not talking about backing out of a commitment or not doing something required for school or church. School, homework, church, and family obligations... those were non-negotiable for us, and they are for the boy.
I am talking about those times when you were a teensy bit glad that mom or dad said "no." "Not this weekend." "We have plans." Or, "I don't feel comfortable with you going."
You had an "out," and your parents got the "blame."
"Sorry, my mom said I can't."
You kept your little secret and everyone else just thought you had impossible parents. And, that was ok with them.
Well, it is ok with me, too. If the boy ever needs an "excuse" to not be somewhere he isn't totally comfortable being... I'll be the "out."
I'll say "no" and smile and be the un-cool mom I was meant to be.
4 comments:
Yes! I remember that. My momma always told me I could blame it on her. :)
Glad to hear from you today.
Just last week my daughter was invited to the movies with friends. We found out what the movie was and it was a no go for her. She was disappointed but her Dad showed her on the computer the reasons that it was rated PG-13. When she saw nudity, she changed her attitude and was glad to stay home.
Parenting is not easy but it is WORTH it!!
I hope i can be just as uncool as you are... that is my dream!
My mom always said I could say that she said "no", if I needed the "out." This did sometimes get complicated when friends put me on the spot and asked me in front of her. We had a code. If I said "may I" then I really did want to go/do whatever it was with the friend and she gave whatever answer suited her. If I said "can I", she automatically said "no", even if it was something she'd normally allow me to do, thus, giving me an "out" for something I needed/wanted her to say "no" to. Just a thought for those future "on the spot" moments that are sure to arise.
Post a Comment